Sunday, January 24, 2010

Every Once in a While

Grrr. Sewing machine pedal decided to stop working. I called a shop around here that carries my brand of machine, and they told me to bring it in and they'd diagnose it for free. But over the phone, they thought I would need the circuit board in the foot replaced, which would cost $75. But if I have to replace the entire foot, the part will cost $250. LAME!!! Especially since the starter on the camry decided to die as well, and we have to get THAT replaced. Estimate was at $340 with the part and labor, but Jordan did it himself and saved us $150. Still, meant we couldn't afford to fix the sewing machine.

However, Beth has decided that it is time for her to get a new sewing machine, and she is sending her old one down with Bill who is driving to Oklahoma to pick up the new youth minister on Monday and help them move. So we're going to drive tonight and spend the night at Jordan's grandma's house, and then see Bill and some of the other church guys on Monday. I'm excited to see family, as it sure does get lonely down here in Fort Worth. Its rough because I spent my first 1.5 years out of college (teaching) getting used to being lonely and not being able to hang out with friends. But Jordan is just now going through that, and there isn't a whole lot I can do to help him. Its hard because I'm home alone most of the time and look forward to when he gets home, but when he gets home he's a little down because all of our friends have other plans and can't hang out like they used to in college - which I guess is just part of growing up. Plus he hates his job and is just generally dissatisfied with life right now. Again, I think that must be part of growing up as I've got a lot of those feelings going on too. Oh well, life goes on.

We're officially starting our Dave Ramsey budget this friday with Jordan's paycheck, but its going to be hard because our emergency fund was so depleted by the car starter. Its good, because I have the feeling we would have run into a MAJOR crisis soon which we would have been unprepared for financially. We were talking last night about how if either of us were to get sick or in an accident, we wouldn't have any way to pay for it. But now that I think about it, Jordan is actually insured already for his health. It would just be the $500 copay, which we could come up with. Its me who we can't afford to get sick or injured. Just a rough spot to be in, when we're living below our means but just not making enough money and generally feeling like we're spinning our wheels. At least we don't have kids.

What a whiny blog post. Honestly, we have a pretty good life. We've got food on the table, two funny (and frustrating sometimes) dogs, each other, and an unlimited pass to the local library. I'm pretty convinced that the only thing more money would bring is more bills. And so I'm going to work on changing my attitude today.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the library!! Have you considered applying for a job at the library? I work for Arapahoe (Smoky Hill is part of it) and I love it. Mostly I work with the teens and kids. Surprisingly, libraries pay really well and have good benefits because they are government jobs. http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/jobline/

    ReplyDelete